Sunday, January 20, 2013

This is the rebirth

I have neglected my obligation to you all and for that I apologize   What's that you don't except.  I will punish myself with 100 burpees.... Satisfied??  I thought so you sickos!  So I took a little break from CrossFit because my doctor told me I was weak.  So I got strong and now I'm back.  A lot has transpired since my last post.  Did my first Olympic lifting competition (I love wearing singlets, always have)  participated in my first partner competition, grew an amazing beard and I lifting a metric fuck ton of weight each day.  I have visited a number of kick ass gyms in the last few weeks and will be giving my feedback on each of them in the coming days.  I also left my "home box office" (Crossfit Lodo) due to a difference of opinion with the other owners.  So I've assembled a new team of bad asses and we are opening a new gym. For the record this is the fourth gym that I have owned. So here we are,  it's 2013 the open is upon us and you want some tips on how to not suck at it.  Well don't worry, daddy is here and he is going to make everything okay.  The nature of this little project has just expanded from simply reviewing local gyms to delivering coaching ques and advice on how to make the most out of your Crossfit experience.




Diana and I competed at CrossFit SOCO's "FrostFit Challenge" yesterday. It was my first time competing on a team.  Instead of a long winded review I am going to point out a couple of things that I noticed.

~ The entire day was scored based off of total pounds lifted instead of reps or time.  I believe this slightly devalues body weight movements but is an effective an interesting approach to scoring.

~Each workout had a single bar with a single weight that teammates had to share.  This meant that for the co-ed teams the entire day would be decided based on how strong the women was and left the guys doing warm up weight throughout.


~ Every workout, with the exception of the finals WOD, was a 6 minute time domain.  That goes against the "broad time domains" aspect of Crossfit but I understand why they did it.  They had 60 something teams to cycle through 6 workouts in a 7 hours.  That is no easy task and they did great at keeping on track.

~The WOD's were very interval based.  Attack, recover, repeat was kind of the theme of the day.  I love interval training so, hell yeah!


~The CF community in Colorado Springs is awesome!  Diana and I were vagabonds of sorts at this comp wondering around, panhandling.  Not really, but the awesome folks at Crossfit 719 and CrossFit Pandora's box invited us to hang out with their groups.

~ The podium prizes were awesome!  I have placed top 3 in over 40 endurance events and never received such a hearty bounty!  it made me be stoked!










If you are interested in the details of each workout, you can find them here....Frostfit WOD's  If you are looking for a well organized comp with good shwag invest in CrossFit SoCo's next competition.


I give the Crossfit Soco "FrostFit Team Challenge" a rating of..... a gallon of Chocolate milk and two rows of fig newtons!

No comments:

Post a Comment