Tuesday, May 22, 2012

CrossFit Breckenridge - 5/19 Open Gym


After missing out on a chance to visit CrossFit Bonedale in Carbondale Colorado, Georgia and I were so excited that CF Breckenridge had open gym time on a Saturday afternoon.  11:30-3:00 on a Saturday is a very uncommon time for a CF gym to be open.  We beat feet down I-70 in anticipation of doing a workout at the highest elevation CrossFit gym in the world!!  That's right.... CF Breck is at nearly 10,000ft elevation!  
When we pulled up the place looked closed.  The door was locked.  AHHHH SHIT!  That makes us 0 for 2 today!  I decided to call instead of listing to GA.  Yes, she wanted to throw a rock through the window, do a 2 minute workout, grab a shirt and take off.  Lucky for my criminal record we didn't because Scott was inside and answered by the second ring. 
Scott jokingly admitted later that he only answered the door because, as he said, "I thought you were Matt Chan at first."  Which, by the way is the third time I have been mistaken for him despite being about 1.5 pood on his lighter side!  A serious complement in the CrossFit world never-the-less. 
The gym was very clean and organized.  It was open gym so it was up to us to decide what we wanted to do.  I decided that it would be cool to do a bench mark "girl WOD" at this altitude to see how much it affected me.  Scott told me that they get a lot of drop-ins that wanted to do the same thing.  We didn't have a lot of time and their high rings looked like they had some dust on them so I decided to do "Amanda"  GA went with 100 push ups for time. 



"Amanda"
9-7-5 of....
Squat snatch (135#)
muscle ups

Yeah, altitude makes a difference!!  I was about a minute and a half slower than the last time I did this workout.  All the muscle ups were done unbroken, but by the time I dismounted the rings, I was huffing so hard that it took me an extra 30 seconds to be ready to do my first snatch.  A humbling experience for sure!  I have a totally new respect and understanding for what our sea level drop-ins feel like when they come to Denver. 



GA- 100 Push ups for time





The T-Shirt:
Pictures coming soon!

The shirt is really really cool!  The crest on the front is very similar to the Ranger crest!  It's got an eagle on it!  That is about American as it gets!!  And that's what I'm all about 'MERICA, HELL YEAH!!
I got me a short sleeve, you know, cause the ladies love them some "Matt Chanish Biceps"
GA opted for the long sleeve tech number, which was also bitchin! 
I was so excited about rocking my new CF Breck shwag that I wore it to our Paleo Pot Luck later that night at CrossFit LoDo!


The Score:


Honestly, meeting people like Scott is a big reason why I wanted to do this.  He was so willing to hang out while we enjoyed his facility.  He put on the music that we wanted for our workout and gave us free reign to do what we need to.  I am going to suggest that every single one of my athletes at LoDo make the drive up to the highest elevation CF in the world and do a WOD.  The gym is pretty close to the mountain so there is no reason to miss a chance to drop in after your next ski/snowboard trip.

I rate CrossFit Breckenridge a frosty six pack of New Belgium Fat Tire after a long day on the slopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment