Tuesday, May 22, 2012

GlenWood Springs CrossFit - 5/18 - 6:30p class

My coach and I were going to try to make it all the way to CF Bonedale after coaching the noon class at LoDo.  That is about a 3 1/2 hour drive, well that is to say it is a 3 1/2 hour drive if you don't stop off at Tommyknockers brewery in Idaho Springs for the most amazing sweet potato tots this guy has ever tasted!!!



Making it to the 6:30 would be cutting it too close.  It is very very poor form to show up right at the start of class if you are dropping in.... and we are ALL ABOUT GOOD FORM at LoDo!!  So we went to our plan B, Glenwood Springs CF.  We couldn't have been happier that we did.





Elbows up Coach!!!






First Impression:


We drove past a couple of times because there wasn't a sign outside at all.  We noticed a very fit looking gent running with a look of agony that would suggest only one thing.... CrossFit was happening nearby!  The WOD wasn't posted on the site so it was going to be a wild card.  Georgia (my awesome coach) said that if it had burpees that we would be immediately leaving.  I agreed to her conditions.  We followed the hypoxic man to a driveway behind a burm to find a hidden gem. 



Shortly after walking in we were greeted by Thaddeus and Makenzie, not just two very cool people, but two people with REALLY cool names!!  They were very inviting and welcomed us with open arms.  I introduced myself and Georgia, and for the very first time ever....I was recognized as a CrossFit athlete!  Thaddeus and Makenzie had both been judges at the SW Regional competition a couple of weeks prior and must have seen me getting my lunch money taken by the big kids on the playground.  Regardless of why, it was really flattering having someone recognize us hundreds of miles from home.  

The Warm Up:
The warm up was conducted by one of Glenwood Springs newer coaches.  Thaddeus sat back and observed which I found very cool.  I am a firm believer that the level 1 cert that CF provides is a good starting point, but in order to be an effective coach it is necessary to be mentored by someone that has been coaching for years.  This was exactly what was happening at this gym.  It was refreshing to see. 
We did a very appropriate warm up for the upcoming WOD, including the burgener protocol.  There was five of us in the 6:30p class and everyone seemed experienced.  The warm up was appropriately geared to our ability level.


The Workout Of the Day:

It was one of there members birthday (I'm guessing she turned 30 given the rep scheme)

3 rounds for time of.....
10 chest to bar pull ups
10 power cleans (135/95#)
10 hand stand push ups
10 toe to bar
10 overhead squats (135/95#)
400m run.

It's funny, four months ago I would have dreaded the bar movements and been so looking forward to the run in the WOD.  It was the opposite feeling when I saw the white board.  I thought to myself, OHH YEAH.... light Power Cleans and OHS!! 

Time: 15:20 RX

This workout was awesome!  don't be too surprised if you see it in the rotation in the next couple of weeks at LoDo!!

The T-Shirt:
Lots of fun colors..... but no mediums!  I ended up buying two anyway.  One was for my coach, the other was for my hommie Ryan "Gloves McGee" Anderson since he stepped up while GA and I played hookie for the Saturday morning WOD at LoDo.... Thanks again brother!

The shirts were cool, logo up front, "You vs. You" on the back.  subtle yet colorful.  I will slam a picture up of Ryan & GA modeling them the next time I see them rocking them out.

Cost was $25 each but I got hooked up.... 2 for $44.   WHAT A STEAL!!


The Score:
Amazing gym!  It is so good to know that there are coaches and gym owners that are in it for the right reasons.... that is 100% Thaddeus and Makenzie!  Keeping it real in Glenwood Springs!

No comments:

Post a Comment