Friday, April 6, 2012

CrossFit Arvada 4/6/2012


I took this picture from Arvada's website.  In the future I am going to try to make sure to take my own!


Initial impressions
   The first thing I noticed about CrossFit Arvada is that I couldn't find it on google.  I found it on CrossFit main page.  No big deal.  The next thing was that the Workout of the Day (WOD) was not posted as of 9am that day.  Now, I understand that things get busy and posting a workout is about the least important part of coaching/owning a gym.  When I called to see if it was okay to drop in I got a chance to talk to Keith (owner of CFA)  He told me what the WOD was and that it would be fine if I did a drop in.
  The first thing that I noticed when I pulled up to CF Arvada (30 minutes early) was that the bay doors were open and people were coming in and out.  I really liked that, it was rather inviting.  Keith found me wandering around, I guess I looked lost.  He directed me to the locker rooms, which were nice (two showers!)   The box is very large (12,000sf I believe) and very well stocked.  They have a full astro turf section and batting cage.  I believe that they share a space with another strength and conditioning business.
   Before we started the WOD I got a chance to meet, one of the other coaches named Tom.  Tom was awesome!  Having been recently deployed to Afghanistan as a medical officer, we had an instant commonality.  He was very inviting and welcoming.  He made me feel like an instant member of his gym.

THE WARM UP:
  The W/U was written on the board and there was little instruction so I followed the lead of the other members.  It was self paced, which I personally like.  It's how we do it for our Level 2 classes at CF LoDO. 

The WOD:
400m run
21 front squats @ 75% body weight
1 min wall sit
30 split box jumps (I have never done this movement before, I loved it!!)
1 min wall sit
200m run
1 min wall sit
30 split box jump
1 min wall sit
21 front squats @ 75% BW
400m run

Time- 14:16RX

   This was a quad cooker to say the least. Typically I love run based WOD's.....  Ouch!!  It was the good kind of hurt though!  Very well programed, very good mix of static and dynamic movement.  There was 5 of us at the 11:30a class.  Everyone of the other athletes was very nice and introduced themselves to me. 

 The T-SHIRT!
  Olive drab (military green) they also had black, but the last thing I need is another black T-Shirt! 
The quality is pretty good, not quite American Apparel but definitely better than a Haynes 50/50  The logo is the new evolution of man.  Cost was standard, $20.  I only had $19.  Keith said that it would be okay and that I should be more responsible with my money.  He didn't really say that!  The shirt is comfy as can be, I'm wearing it now!!

The Score 
I have decided to affix a score to each gym that I visit, because frankly we CrossFitters love to score things regardless of how arbitrary it is!  I based scoring on overall atmosphere, coaching ability, programming, how cute the girls are and how boss the shwag is. 


 CrossFit Arvada scores  11 cupcakes out of a bakers dozen!

No comments:

Post a Comment